Thursday, April 23, 2009

The Indian Resilience and why Bharat will still be mahaan.

Folks,
It all ended well,
My son and I are feeling swell,
We were undaunted
And hence were counted.
The mark on the Index finger has quite a story to tell

"Jaagore" helped us hope
and we didn't at least have to exchange any note
Just to be able to give our vote.

The process of getting voter id cards was over a few weeks back and we were very pessimistic. We clutched to our acknowledgement slips which proved that we had given our details as required. We also kept visiting the various sites where we could find out if we were included in the electoral rolls. We were apparently not on the list till a week ago.My son tried a last ditch effort at night on 22nd April and lo and behold our names were there. So we quickly took down the details of Part numbers and serial number. It was now a family affair. My husband got up early on 23rd and made a round of nearby booths and found out the one where we were listed. I have to credit the "Jaagore" website in keeping our hopes of voting alive. In its absence we would have not thought of taking our other ids and going. In the end it was all a breeze. On reflection, I guess this is how most of our people in India manage. Somehow at the end of the month most of us are still standing and smiling and hoping.
Three cheers to the IT guys who maintain the Chief Election officer, Karnataka's website. They seemed to have raced against time to update these lists.

2 comments:

TJ Alexander said...

1.Gayatri, I wish I could feel the same way about the same thing. Unfortunately no.....Our experience of getting a voter id card was frustrating, and bizarre and after a frantic visit tour polling booth, we learnt that we could not vote because the Chief Election Officers folk had not up dated the lists. All our neighbors also had the same frustrating experience. When we tried to find our names on the official website www.ceokarnataka.nic.in the experience was no different....server errors and blank screens just kept popping up.
:( TJ

wanderingsoul said...

Hi There!,

Its been one of the most futile experiences of mine dealing with the collector's office with regards to the Electoral rolls.

My father passed away a decade back. Since then, I have personally submitted the forms to get his name removed from the list, twice the collectorate officials came home and took down the details.

I also have made atleast 4 attempts to have my name inducted in the election voter's list and also through the Jagore Campaign.

Alas, to my extreme dismay and frustration, my father's name still features on the list and I am "absconding"!

- Narayan Ganeshan.

 
Visit blogadda.com to discover Indian blogs