Friday, October 9, 2009

Nobel for Obama

The Nobel"peace Prize " has been awarded to Mr Obama. I am racking my brain and the newspapers to find that one bit of information which will convince me that he more than anyone else deserves this award in this year itself.

I admire Mr Obama greatly and was thrilled to bits when he won the Presidency. (Not being a US citizen, I could not vote...) Even now I support him in his efforts. If he manages to bring health care to all or makes progress in the Palestine-Israel cause, he would be a deserving candidate.

The Afghan war if anything shows no sign of stopping. Mr Obama politely refused to meet the Dalai Lama, the first US President in 20 years to do so. These factors are not a crime . However his eye is on the economics of the US and not on peace. I wish the Nobel Peace Prize committee or whoever decides such prizes gives us a break and finds substantial men, women or organisations dedicated to Peace for bestowing this wonderful award.

Considering George W Bush was on the shortened shortlist many times in the past few years, I guess the Committee has often just stopped short of embarrassing itself.

2 comments:

Arvind Ananthanarayanan said...

IMO, if Obama was ever to be given a Nobel peace prize, it would be now! Imagine 10 people who were to push 10 extremely heavy boxes by 100 ft. If one of them was awarded a prize for being the best at the job BEFORE the boxes reached their destination, he would work extra hard to live up to the prize he was already awarded! Obama represents Hope!

Idyll Mind said...

Arvind pointed me to your blog and I've enjoyed reading your posts. :) I have to say, I am peeved with people ridiculing Obama for receiving the Nobel Peace Prize. If someone else was awarded the prize instead of him, would people have even bothered to comment on it with as much enthusiasm?
I was personally rooting for Tsvangirai, and thought he and Zimbabwe needed it more than Obama does at the moment. The world may have been a better place had he won.
But, when we speak of world leaders affecting immeasurable change, one couldn't be bothered if they win the Nobel Prize or not!

 
Visit blogadda.com to discover Indian blogs